Saturday, April 20, 2013

London - Day 3 (National Portrait Gallery, Buckingham Palace, and the View from the Shard)

I went to National Portrait Gallery, Buckingham Palace, and the View from the Shard today.

I was about to go to Sherlock Holmes Museum, but i could not figure which way to go..and unexpected shower made me turn my trip to National Portrait Gallery.

National Portrait Gallery has my favorite art piece, the Elizabeth I's portrait, and also that of King Charles I and Cromwell.

Admission is free, and the Gallery is located behind the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square.


Trafalgar Square




Queen Elizabeth I


Elizabeth




National Portrait Museum




phone booth


St.James's Palace






Union Jack




Green Park




Buckingham 



Buckingham Palace



I missed the changing the guard 


statue 





The Shard...you can access from London Bridge station (If you changing from Waterloo, you can take Jubilee line - 2 stops)

If you did not make reservations online, ticket is about 30 pounds per person, which is quite expensive.

The Shard Observatory is at 69th floor. First elevator goes till 33rd floor, and then second one to 68th floor. You have to walk up to 69th floor, which is the first observatory. If you want to head out, you can go up to 72nd floor. There was a construction for stairs between 72nd and 75th floor, which I think another observatory at 75th floor.


Fantastic view from the Shard 69th floor


Tate Modern and St.Paul's


about 9:15 p.m ish


Tower of London, Imperial War Museum (the ship) and London Bridge



zoom...



this is 72nd floor observatory..this is similar to that of Empire States, but a lot wider. The ceiling is open!!! Crazy windy London



much clearer view from 72nd floor


about to sunset




first floor


the entrance of the Shard


The Shard closes at 10. The last entrance is at 9:30

I recommend you to go to Shard!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment